The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Characters > Season 2 Characters > Desmond > It's All Good
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

It's All Good A place to talk about how much you like the character and other positive things. If you don't like the character please don't post it in here.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Bluedog1121
Believing Ben in
Economy
You'll never have to lie again.

Additional Info
Stats
Why was Desmond in prison?

Am I crazy (or forgetful)? We don't know this, do we?

Just rewatching "Live Together, Die Alone" last night, and realized that we (or just myself, lol) don't know the answer to this yet. I'm thinking it must be something fairly serious because of what Penny says in her letter about how what Desmond did is weighing on him. Then again, it didn't seem like he was in the brig all that long, so maybe it wasn't something too serious.

Hopefully this isn't a dropped thread. I'm really curious to know! (And I love, love, love Desmond, so any new info about him makes me happy!)
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Lea_Lost
Sipping my McCutcheon's in
First Class
Nerds are cool, savvy?!

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Why was Desmond in prison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog1121 View Post
Am I crazy (or forgetful)? We don't know this, do we?

Just rewatching "Live Together, Die Alone" last night, and realized that we (or just myself, lol) don't know the answer to this yet. I'm thinking it must be something fairly serious because of what Penny says in her letter about how what Desmond did is weighing on him. Then again, it didn't seem like he was in the brig all that long, so maybe it wasn't something too serious.

Hopefully this isn't a dropped thread. I'm really curious to know! (And I love, love, love Desmond, so any new info about him makes me happy!)
We don't know it exactly. We do know that he was in army prison, and according to what Inman said to him, it was because he couldn't follow orders... so it was probably insubordination. It must have been something serious if they put him in prison for it and dishonorably dischaged him from the Royal Scots...

Welcome to the Lage BTW
Old 01-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Bluedog1121
Believing Ben in
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Thanks for the welcome!

Makes me wonder if it was some kind of AWOL issue. Maybe that's why Whidmore calls him a "coward." And Des is so concerned with getting his "honor" back.

(It also bugs me that Des doesn't tell Penny he wrote her while he was in prison, but her father kept the letters from her. But I guess that's a post for another thread!)
Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
PapaThor
Business Class
Rubicon Kitty

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome!

Makes me wonder if it was some kind of AWOL issue. Maybe that's why Whidmore calls him a "coward." And Des is so concerned with getting his "honor" back.

(It also bugs me that Des doesn't tell Penny he wrote her while he was in prison, but her father kept the letters from her. But I guess that's a post for another thread!)
Welcome Bluedog1121. Good catch on this one.

I've always wondered why Des didn't tell Pen what kind of father she had. It seemed appropriate at the time. But, then again, maybe she already knows what kind of father she has. Funny they don't mention her mom at all. Nor do we know anything about Des' mom and dad. Hmmm.

As far as why Des was in prison, I imagine it may have to do with a type of dereliction of duty offense. (Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dereliction_of_duty)

I've thought it might have to do with putting others in danger or not being faithful to his comrades. For something like that, the word "coward" comes to mind.

As far as his redemption goes, perhaps his return to the Island is so he can resume his "pushing it" duties thus, saving the world.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
Lea_Lost
First Class
Nerds are cool, savvy?!

Additional Info
Stats

So you think he still hadn't redeemed himself after saving the world for 3 years and sacrificing himself for everybody when he turned the key??? I know Desmond still considers himself a coward.

Quote:
I've always wondered why Des didn't tell Pen what kind of father she had.
I think she knows. Before Des went up to him to ask for her hand, she tried to put him in his guard, and she wasn't surprised at all when he "didn't get the job".
Besides, it is my absolute conviction that Penny found out where to look for Des by prying into his daddy's business.

As for Desmond's parents, he had to leave school to take care of his brothers, so it's probably safe to presume that they are dead.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
PapaThor
Business Class
Rubicon Kitty

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea_Lost View Post
I think she knows. Before Des went up to him to ask for her hand, she tried to put him in his guard, and she wasn't surprised at all when he "didn't get the job".
Besides, it is my absolute conviction that Penny found out where to look for Des by prying into his daddy's business.

As for Desmond's parents, he had to leave school to take care of his brothers, so it's probably safe to presume that they are dead.
Yeah, I think you're right. I believe she had to know about her father's business affairs in order to find Des.

Was it in Flashes Before... that we learned about Des' youth? I don't remember.

As far as his redemption goes, he may think that he has achieved his own, but what about what Mrs. H. says about his fate as the button pusher that saves the world? I think there is more to the story than he thinks he knows.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Lea_Lost
First Class
Nerds are cool, savvy?!

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaThor View Post
Was it in Flashes Before... that we learned about Des' youth? I don't remember.
Yeah. When Widmore read his resume, he asked him why he didn't graduate the University, and Des said he had to look after his 3 brothers after his father... well, we don't know what happened to him. Some say he may went to prison, but I think he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaThor View Post
As far as his redemption goes, he may think that he has achieved his own, but what about what Mrs. H. says about his fate as the button pusher that saves the world? I think there is more to the story than he thinks he knows.
True, Mrs.H said that pushing the button will be the only really great thing he will ever do in his life... but does he need to do it forever? I just think that was it... He doesn't really have to do great things all his life, does he?

Although, perhaps you think of the latest news

Spoiler:

saying that we are going to have Mrs. Hawking back... Well, perhaps she has another nudge for Des... but I don't think it will be the button. It would be really frustrating and annoying to go back to that story. Just my opinion...
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Bluedog1121
Believing Ben in
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I'm glad you reminded us of the leaving school thing, Lea! I'd forgotten completely about that. I've been thinking about Des's parents lately, too. I guess he does have his own daddy issues!

I hope we learn far more about Des's past in S5.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
Lea_Lost
First Class
Nerds are cool, savvy?!

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
I'm glad you reminded us of the leaving school thing, Lea! I'd forgotten completely about that. I've been thinking about Des's parents lately, too. I guess he does have his own daddy issues!
Oh, Desmond's got some really huge daddy issues. Only, it's not his daddy he has issues with LOL

It is so nice though, when you think about it... he took care of his younger brothers... and man, 3 more Hume boys out there!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
Bluedog1121
Believing Ben in
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Ha!

Hopefully we'll get to see those other Hume boys one day!

I just thought of something...

I'm wondering if there was something Widmore did to orchestrate Desmond's actions or sentencing in some way. Widmore's actions toward Desmond are similar to Ben's actions toward Karl. Did Widmore "place" Desmond in prison like Ben placed Karl in Room 23?

It really is sad that I'm spending so much time thinking about this! I need some new stuff to think about! Two more weeks!

Last edited by Bluedog1121; 01-06-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost