The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 2 > Orientation
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Orientation Air Date: 10/05/2005 60 minutes EP: 203
Written by Javier Grillo-Marxuach & Craig Wright
Directed by Jack Bender

Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #31
Sam G
Fact Checker Deux-librarian-# giver
Upper Deck

Love is the answer

Additional Info
Staff
Stats
Re: LOST Rewind: "Orientation"

to the world of posting. Another hint at TT?

LOST
for Z - well, we actually don't have a space station
Hidden by simplicity, among the chaos, we will find our clues in plain sight. - Me
The pieces of your heart that you give away make you who you are - Me vivre
›‹›....><>..><>...... ><((((˚>
LOST Library-Open 24/7
Fringe Library open 24/7
My Countdown Counting down to: LOSTiversary 2014 - See you in Hawaii - We are going back.
20 days 13 hours 48 minutes
Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #32
caforrest2047
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

Sam did you see unnamed skinny dudes club? plus the supposed Libby doesn't look like the libby we know/knew and loved. Also wouldn't Mike, Jin and Sawyer be more focused on the menacing Monster moving towards them, it's possible they missed AL they also could have been focusing on Skinny dude's club, plus AL seems to be hiding behind 'stand-in' Libby so they could have not seen her.

Nooai, that's why Cooper is dead, because he was the kind of person who could do this without getting upset.

Islandlostie, Before Locke says what he says to Jack, Desmond ssks "Do I know you?"after which Locke shoots Jack a quzical glance, that is what Locke is refering to. Ok that whole thing is based on there being no Time Loop, now if there is a time loop maybe Locke is curious why Jack is still treating Desmond like a bad guy, when Jack knows him, it relates to different people remembering different events at different times, I know it almost made my head spin typing it.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
Sam G
Fact Checker Deux-librarian-# giver
Upper Deck

Love is the answer

Additional Info
Staff
Stats

Different group of Tailies standing at the beginning. But that's probably because they didn't have Mr. Eko at the time.

Locke smokes.

All the hatch marks on the wall - did we ever see them again?

Yellow geiger counter like the one that was in Locke's apartment in Walk About.

Desmond has the same look in his eyes as Danielle.

The first Orientation film and it is a film not a cassette.

Quote:
JACK: Because the last time I saw a computer that was going to save the world, it didn't look like that.
And what did it look like Jack? Did it look like this?

Oh, so subtle again the Orientation film at the very beginning the swan changes from white to black.

On the coffee table the moving box that was off island in Kate and Sayid FB's.

The edited Orientation film that has the reversed image of Alvar Hanso in it. One of the more thoughtful EEs.

Quote:
JACK: So, you don't get out, you don't see anyone. Where does your food come from? You really think this is happening.
DESMOND: Why wouldn't it be?
JACK: It says "quarantine" on the inside of the hatch to keep you down here. To keep you scared. But you know what? We've been up there for over 40 days and no one's gotten sick. You think that this is the only part of it that's true? Do you ever think that maybe they put you down here to push a button every 100 minutes just to see if you would? That all of this -- the computer, the button -- it's just a mind game? An experiment?
DESMOND: Every -- single -- day. And for all our sakes, I hope it's not real. But the film says this is an electromagnetic station. And I don't know about you, brother, but every time I walk past that concrete wall out there, my fillings hurt. [Clock shows 49:00.] Right. [Desmond flips the switch on the computer and the power goes out.] Oh no.
Why would Jack even think something like this?

OOps Desmond trips.

Jack said "I married her" Like Kate said "The man I killed."

Poor Hurley, here's the numbers again.

The Execute button is now different and now it's back to the way it looked before.

Ah, the bull headed boys.

LOST
for Z - well, we actually don't have a space station
Hidden by simplicity, among the chaos, we will find our clues in plain sight. - Me
The pieces of your heart that you give away make you who you are - Me vivre
›‹›....><>..><>...... ><((((˚>
LOST Library-Open 24/7
Fringe Library open 24/7
My Countdown Counting down to: LOSTiversary 2014 - See you in Hawaii - We are going back.
20 days 13 hours 48 minutes

Last edited by Sam G; 07-12-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #34
Bicklefitch
Premium Economy
Destiny, anyone?

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam G View Post
Oh, so subtle again the Orientation film at the very beginning the swan changes from white to black.
Good pick-up, Sam. I had to go back and re-re-watch to see this. Possibly a hint that Desmond has been used by both Jacob and his nemesis along the way?

Quote:
On the coffee table the moving box that was off island in Kate and Sayid FB's.
Yup. probably just something TPTB threw in there to make us go hmm, but could the appearance of this octagonal box in their flashbacks mean that Kate and Sayid have some connection to the D.I.? (Dang, they made me go hmm)

Quote:
The Execute button is now different and now it's back to the way it looked before.
The ever-changing execute button stood out to me like a sore thumb this time around. In fact, the whole hatch scene has me re-thinking the implications of the season five finale...

In Orientation, Locke, Kate and Jack found themselves drawn to the mysterious hatch, much as they were all drawn to the island in the first place, and much as the 06 found themselves drawn back a second time. Once in the hatch, John was forced into 'calling the shots' by someone who had a gun to his head. Was this a foreshadowing of the MiB and his loophole?

Jack eventually left Locke alone when he went after Desmond, much to John's chagrin. Sounding familiar?...Compare these two exchanges, the first from Orientation, the second from There's No Place Like Home...

Quote:
LOCKE: This isn't...this isn't what was supposed to happen.

JACK: What was supposed to happen?

LOCKE: Please, don't leave me here.

JACK: Bye, John. You're on your own.
Quote:
LOCKE: But you're not supposed to go home.

JACK
: And what am I supposed to do? Oh, I think I remember. What was it you said on our way out to the hatch...that crashing here was our destiny?

LOCKE: You know, Jack...you know that you're here for a reason. You know it. And if you leave this place, that knowledge is gonna eat you alive from the inside out...until you decide to come back.

JACK: Goodbye, John.
Jack eventually returned to the hatch, having been convinced by Desmond's pointed questions about Sarah that perhaps Locke was right about this destiny stuff. Similarly, Jack's experiences off-island between flights 815 and 316 further opened his eyes to the possibilities that destiny had to offer.

On returning to the hatch, Locke insisted that Jack follow through on his leap of faith by pushing the button...and this is where it gets interesting. What happened when Jack pushed the button? The timer was reset. Is it possible that Jack and Dan were right about the incident? If the parallels hold true between the interactions in the hatch during Orientation and the events leading up to Juliet's detonation of the hydrogen bomb in this season's finale, then perhaps we will be looking at an alternate reality during season six. The ever-changing execute button may have been a hint that whatever happened didn't necessarily happen.

Locke seemed to be getting a similar message from both his Dad and Helen..."Get over it". Cooper eventually had to spell it out for John...

Quote:
COOPER: There is no why. Do you think you're the first person that ever got conned? You needed a father figure, and I needed a kidney, and that's what happened. Get over it. And, John, don't come back. You're not wanted.
Initially, Helen thought John was on his way to 'getting over it'...

Quote:
HELEN: You just said everything I've always wanted to say in there. Most of the time I want to stand up and scream: get over it, freaks.
Later, she offered him her assistance...

Quote:
HELEN: I wasted 20 years of my life being angry. I told myself I would get over it, but I couldn't do it alone. I needed to find help. You help me, John...and I can help you. You just have to promise me that you're not going to go to that place anymore.
And, finally, she gave him an ultimatum ("You're going to have to choose. Him or me."). So just what was it that John needed to 'get over'? Although both John and Helen seemed to be focused on their anger, I sense that, beneath it all, John needed to get over his fear. Just as Jack, IMO, was paralyzed by the fear of failure, John struggled with the fear of abandonment. And I think it's interesting that, with both Jack and John, their fathers not only contributed to these fears, but pushed them into a position where they were forced to confront them head on.

Although Christian apparently fueled Jack's fear from the get-go ("...because when you fail...you just don't have what it takes"), his subsequent mantra to Jack ("Let it go") echoed Cooper's words to John ("Get over it"). Is it possible that both Christian and Cooper knew what was in store for their sons on the island? In LOST, it seems that being broken is a prerequisite for eventually achieving clarity. Maybe these Dads just wanted to give their kids a leg up on the competition.

Last edited by Bicklefitch; 07-19-2009 at 10:37 PM.