The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 3 > D.O.C.
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

D.O.C. Air Date: 4/25/2007 60 minutes EP: 318
Written by Adam Horowitz & Edward Kitsis
Directed by Frederick E.O. Toye

Old 01-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
MyzDefy
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Lightbulb Re: LOST Rewind: DOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniebun View Post
Is it possible that Ben is somehow sabotaging all of these pregnancies or is that too far-fetched?
Ok...I have only been able to watch Lost this last week in a marathon...Season 1 on the abc.com and Season's 2 & 3 on borrowed DVD's. Yes...I am insane. I had intended on watching Lost when it first aired, but couldn't get that channel in very well as I don't have cable or anything. I think I'm on an Island...LOL However, here's my thoughts:

I can't see Ben wanting to sabotage the pregnancies because his own birth resulted in the death of his mother and the subsequent resentment throughout his life by his father. I think he wants to know WHY she died childbirth or if it really was his fault. He also tells everyone later that he was "born" on the island..as if that makes him more special and also in a way distances himself from having anything to do with his mother's death. Additionally, I think? that he sends Richard to recruit Juliet for this reason as she is a fertility Dr....hence the kidnappings and experiments and his interest, I believe, in why no mother survives past the 2nd trimester on that island. This Island that he came to after his father was recruited by the guy who was there in the car "trying to help" when he was born...probably Ben took this as a sign he was meant to be on that particular Island maybe? ...I ramble! (I would also like to note here that Richard (possible original habitant and hostile), who seems to have met Ben when he was a child, doesn't really think the fertility is the important thing to be researching as he shows John Locke the file on Sawyer in a possible? effort to usurp Ben.) Anyway...that's my take on it...but as I said, I am insane

Thanks,
Myzzie
Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
MyzDefy
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Re: LOST Rewind: DOC

Okay...I can't really find anywhere else to post this?? ( Although I did post the ? to the Creative Team and have not heard anything about it....I guess they are busy. I also noticed that with all the other "curveballs" going on there was a great deal discussed and I have read those comments as well.

However, the thing that is really sticking in my craw that I haven't heard anyone mention is Naomi, aka parachute girl, had a tatoo...at least on the DVD I watched she did. I noted it about the time Hurley is on her phone saying "Mom?" (too cute)

Anyway...the following was just the jist of my ? about it:

What happened to Naomi's Tattoo from D.O.C? I saw it on her upper right arm. It bore a striking resemblence to the one Jack got from Achara? I saw it once again in the subsequent episode, however, In the last episode of Season 3, It ?appeared? to be gone? or just hidden???

I realize she had a jacket on during part of the trek to the tower, but in all the scenes that she has on a very short sleeve shirt, it should have been visible? I say that based on my judging the position of it when I first noted it, it should have been visible even with the cap sleeve shirt on??

Is this an editing mistake or am I just wrong? I thought it had some significance as it is similar to Jack's (especially with the translation by the "Sherrif" on Jacks tattoo...something like...He walks among us, but is not one of us...) (Of course Jack's rather cryptic reply of...Yeah, that's what it says, but that's not what it means!...) I also note that we never have seen how Jack got all the other tattoos surrounding it...hmmmm??

Anyway, did anyone else see it...am I hallucinating...any thoughts on this??? I know it's just a small detail...but as Sawyer says...it's all in the details! LOL

I hope this has been posted appropriately and I have searched everywhere for something about Naomi's Tattoo and have found nothing. However, this site being almost as mysterious as the show is, I may have missed it?

You may also want to refer to my intro in the Introductions thread to see why I'm such an anal maniac!

Thanks any and all!
Myzzie
Old 09-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
evanesco75
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Just pure appreciation, no clues to solve! Just re-watched, and I swear I was spellbound by that scene, where Juliet's doing Sun's ultrasound and they discover the baby was concieved on island. And Sun bursts into tears, and Juliet tries comforting her, reassuring her because that means certain death for Sun.

And Sun breaks into a radiant smile, and says, 'It's Jin's.'

Wow, seriously. Yunjin's acting, the depth of Sun's love for Jin, that she can be ecstatic at the thought of carrying his child no matter what the consequences... just, wow. And EM was great too, she looks so startled and then so happy. Compassion, that one really knows how to bring it with just her eyes. And Yunjin's one of LOST's finest actors in my book.

I just love the fact that despite Sin's troubled history and the lows they've shared, this couple has such genuine, undeniable susbtance. From their sweet beginning and that courtship phase, to the trials of RL, to all the mistakes they've made and the times they've nearly given up and turned away from each other, well.. the bond they have is too strong. Strong enough for Sun to feel so happy over something life threatening, for Jin to ask Locke to lie to her to protect her.... just, sigh!

Okay. I'll stop now.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #14
Bicklefitch
Premium Economy
Destiny, anyone?

Additional Info
Stats

I like the observation Liplocked made upthread that DOC can be used as shorthand for Dept. of Corrections as well as date of conception. For Sun, as for most of the lostaways, the island can be viewed as a prison from one perspective, and as a source of new life from another. Sun told Juliet, "I lose either way, if I'm going to live, that means the baby's not Jin's". Her perspective, at that moment, didn't take into account the elation she would feel in learning that the baby was Jin's, or the possibility that she might be an exception to the island's rules regarding pregnancy.

This episode contained a couple of obvious references to death, with Sun telling Juliet, "If what you said is true, that means I'm already dead", and Mikhail reminding Desmond, "I already died once this week".

Something about re-watches brings out the conspiracy theorist in me. The first conspiracy that seems likely to me was between Mr. Paik and Jin's alleged mother. Mr. Paik obviously knew about Jin's background, and about Sun's willingness to cover up the truth to avoid shame (remember the glass ballerina?). Gosh, what a coincidence that he had the exact change for Sun's request right there in his safe. No need to count it to make sure, and, what luck, a large unmarked envelope right there to boot. He had plans for Jin from the start, IMO, and knew that Sun would not go along with them unless he had some leverage on her. I'm not so convinced that his intentions were nefarious, however, as I'll bet he wasn't the only parent who sacrificed an aspect of his relationship with a child in order to get them to the island. Mr Kwon may have even been in on this, as he implored Sun to keep Jin in the dark before asking her a single question about the potential consequences.

The other possible conspiracy that jumped out at me was between Mikhail, Naomi and Ben. Just after Mikhail removed the stick from Naomi's chest, she told him (in Portuguese), "I am not alone". When Desmond asked him what she had said, Mikhail replied, "Thank you...she said thank you for helping me". Was she trying to pass along a message to Ben without tipping her hand? That may be a big stretch, but I don't think it's out of the question that Ben and Widmore have been working together, along with Jacob, to pull off a long con on the MiB. I doubt that Hurley was in on anything, but I do find it interesting that he just 'happened' to fire the flare at the exact moment when Mikhail was needed to save Naomi's life.

If there was any doubt that Juliet will continue to work with Ben, I think it was pretty much dispelled when she left him the recorded message that "Kwon is pregnant", just after seeing the look in Sun's eyes when she found out the baby was Jin's.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
bousha1
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

just re-watched DOC last night. My local channel reruns the seasons in order on Saturday nights. There is something about re-watching them this way as opposed to on DVD that is so satisfying (and yes, I've done both, own all the available seasons) Reading above I have you agree, Yunjin has an amazing ability to make me cry, every frikin' time. I remember crying like a baby the first time I watched this, and then when the freighter exploded, oh my god, HEART WRENCHING!!!! Sin are an AMAZING couple, perhaps becouse they are the only love story that most of us can really relate to. They are the closest thing to a real life heard working couple in the land of LOST, and to see their struggles and triumphs is therefor all the more moving and compelling.

But on to conspiracy. I'm not totallly on board with Bicklefitch, but there I've always been curious why Naomi played things the way she did, saying what she did to Michail, telling Hurley that they found the plane. Who's side is she on? What was she trying to set up?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #16
Charmedfreak
Kate-Jack-Sawyer-Hurley-Sun Fan
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

They never fully confirmed whos side Naomi was on, she had a photo of Penny and Des, and it stil bugs me if she was really working for Widmore, based on her and Abadon together recruting the freighter folks.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
Devera
Love and hope in
First Class
Avi by arti_chan13

Additional Info
Stats

That's true. She might have infiltrated Widmore's group as a member of another group..
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
Bicklefitch
Premium Economy
Destiny, anyone?

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devera View Post
She might have infiltrated Widmore's group as a member of another group..
Exactly. By the time John put a knife in Naomi's back, both he and Ben knew that there would be serious implications if the O6 were rescued, but both were powerless, at that point, to close the MiB's loophole. The thing is, I think that Ben already knew that Plan B was in motion. As I mentioned in my post above, Naomi may have been passing a message on to Ben when she whispered to Mikhail "I am not alone". I have a feeling that she was sent by Abbadon to bring the science team to the island, and that the purpose of this team will be to somehow help close the loophole created by the MiB. Perhaps they are a part of the "they" referred to by Jacob ("They're coming"). Maybe the reason Ben always has a plan is because Jacob always has a plan.