The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Characters > Season 1 Characters > Sayid > It's All Good
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

It's All Good A place to talk about how much you like the character and other positive things. If you don't like the character please don't post it in here.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
TheRoane
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
True Hero

I started watching Lost because Naveen Andrews was on it. I've loved Sayid for 6 years. He was never a simple character, and Andrews gave some terrific performances--any of Sayid's flashbacks were Emmy-worthy, though sadly, he was only nominated once.

I love lots of other things about the show, like Matthew Fox's terrific acting, and Terry O'Quinn's marvelous creepiness, and our beloved Charlie, but Sayid.......Sayid for me was the hope at the heart of the show, the belief that if you looked in the mirror and found it less than good, you could change what you saw, what the world saw, what you [I]were.[I]That there was redemption out there, even for a torturer, even for a man as broken as Sayid. He didn't change because of the Island--he was already changing before the plane crashed. The Island just gave him an opportunity to explore how much of a hero he truly was.

I've been really disturbed that Sayid went "bad". He fought so long and so hard in the face of immense pain (the deaths of both Shannon and Nadia) to be better than that. To be the person he knew in his heart that he was. To stop letting himself down. And he almost slipped back into killing machine mode. But he couldn't kill Des. In the end, the only thing he could kill was the possibility of being less than he truly was-- a hero.

A lot will be said about Sun and Jin, and rightly, too, but I wanted to take a moment to remember why I got on this ride in the first place, and why I stayed. Sayid Jarrah, torturer, lover, soldier, husband, human being.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Dharma Groove
Work Man, assisting the
Coach
Welcome to the Circle of Trust

Additional Info
Stats
Re: True Hero

Well said.I think that it was the complexities of characters like Sayid that drew me to Lost as well.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
evanesco75
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Great post! I'll echo everything you just said, Roane. Andrews was brilliant indeed, right till the end. I still marvel how he brought such depth and likeability to a potentially controversial character. He'll be missed.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
lipgloss_and_revolver
Still running away from
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Sayid is my 2nd favorite character .. I love flawed, complex, & badass characters, and he is one helluva man.
Thanks to Naveen for bringing the character to life.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
LostMyMarbles
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Thank you so much, Roane, for resurrecting the Sayid discussion. Sayid was ALWAYS my favorite character and I felt strongly that his sendoff was unworthy of him--just an asterisk in someone else's big tearjerker death episode. It was both LOST's most peremptory major-character death (boom, sub sinking, on to the next crisis in 10 seconds flat) and the most drawn-out (because Sayid had been bleeding since season 5, died, got zombiefied, etc.). It was particularly frustrating because we got NOTHING of Sayid's point of view all season except for that sad little scene when he wonders to Hurley what will happen to him when he dies (even more sadly, Hurley has no response). The whole bizarre "zombie" and "snapping out of it" processes were never explained.

I get that Sayid died a hero, but we pretty much knew that was going to happen.

Poor Sayid struggled and suffered perhaps more than any other character, but was always there for the others. Despite the sad end of OUR Sayid, I'm still holding out hope that Sideways Sayid might find his Shannon and live happily ever after.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
momi1233
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

i'm gonna miss him sunday night
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Blue Coral
The Island Princess is sipping tea
On The Tarmac
"...all for meeeeeeeee!!!!!" ~Gollum

Additional Info
Stats

Well said.

Sayid wasn't my favorite character but his storyline was definitely one of the most interesting. Sayid had been through so much. He will definitely be missed during the finale.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
~Lirpa~
Proudly flying with Cindy Chandler
On The Tarmac
Project Vulcanologist

Additional Info
Stats

Sayid has been one of my faves since season one. I'm glad he was finally able to find true redemption and end his life as a true hero.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
belshep
Made it to The End
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles View Post
The whole bizarre "zombie" and "snapping out of it" processes were never explained.
I was just thinking about this - I don't understand why that entire subplot was necessary.

If Sayid was going to die a hero on the sub, why not just keep him alive until then...I truly didn't 'get' his zombie stage at all and can't figure out why he had to die/come back to life without feeling/regain feelings and then die again.

Even now that it's all over, I can't fit that piece of the puzzle. Still makes no sense to me.