The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Speculation > Lost General Theories
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Lost General Theories Theories based on things that HAVE happened on the actual eps of Lost. No spoiler info is to be posted here.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Dr. Suds
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats
"Lost" is a train wreck, and it's not over.

On Sept. 22, 1892, the ground over a mine in Lindal-in-Furness, UK, collapsed, taking down Engine 115 from the Furness Railway, which was buried as the ground continued to collapse under and around it.

In 1898, probably inspired by the above incident, Arthur C. Doyle had published in the Strand his short story "The Lost Special". It would behoove any theorist of Lost to read that (available in a couple of collections, public domain of course, and found online) and listen to the 1940s radio adaptations of it for Suspense and Escape, for the abundant cx they have to Lost. (Also the fan speculation that Mr. Moore in the original story was a Moriarty.) From my reading of descriptions, it would appear the Universal movie serial adaptation from the 1930s had some source material for Lost too.

If the makers of Lost follow the form of its precedents, after some time there will be an "explanation" in the form of a blackmail statement by some Big Mouth who was instrumental in the plot, but who probably was not a character we saw on Lost. It will be revealed that, to shut up Someone Who Knew Too Much about things that stood to bring down persons of immense wealth and power, an airliner carrying that person and associated documents was made to crash, killing all aboard. Some of the passengers, including that Someone, were later impersonated as supposed survivors of that wreck by doubles. Some of those doubles were subject to mind control technology that caused them to forget who they really were.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
RainKingX
Coach

Additional Info
Stats
Re: "Lost" is a train wreck, and it's not over.

Even though there are a ton of artists within the movement, please note how there aren't any or very few high-paid "artists" in the Occupy movement. Maybe it's because a disenfranchised artists started the movement, people who may have a problem with how the "wealthy and powerful" handle things.

Who knows?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
LostisGenius
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Suds View Post
On Sept. 22, 1892, the ground over a mine in Lindal-in-Furness, UK, collapsed, taking down Engine 115 from the Furness Railway, which was buried as the ground continued to collapse under and around it.

In 1898, probably inspired by the above incident, Arthur C. Doyle had published in the Strand his short story "The Lost Special". It would behoove any theorist of Lost to read that (available in a couple of collections, public domain of course, and found online) and listen to the 1940s radio adaptations of it for Suspense and Escape, for the abundant cx they have to Lost. (Also the fan speculation that Mr. Moore in the original story was a Moriarty.) From my reading of descriptions, it would appear the Universal movie serial adaptation from the 1930s had some source material for Lost too.

If the makers of Lost follow the form of its precedents, after some time there will be an "explanation" in the form of a blackmail statement by some Big Mouth who was instrumental in the plot, but who probably was not a character we saw on Lost. It will be revealed that, to shut up Someone Who Knew Too Much about things that stood to bring down persons of immense wealth and power, an airliner carrying that person and associated documents was made to crash, killing all aboard. Some of the passengers, including that Someone, were later impersonated as supposed survivors of that wreck by doubles. Some of those doubles were subject to mind control technology that caused them to forget who they really were.
Ok, the press conference episode, after the losties were rescued comes to mind.

I CAN RESIST JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ...
EXCEPT TEMPTATION
Old 03-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
Dr. Suds
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

This is why I'm convinced "Lost" is coming back to finish itself off:

1. "Lost" would not have made such specific references, starting in its premier and continuing thru season 6 with the anti-Jacob going into the tunnel and coming out as black smoke, to "The Lost Special", its historic antecedent and its previous adaptations, if they didn't mean something to the plot.

2. The plot of "The Lost Special" is nothing unless it revolves around a person or persons with a Big Secret that's worth an enormous amount for a person or persons with immense resources to hush up.

3. From 1 & 2, "Lost" must have been about an effort to keep a secret, and to sacrifice anyone or anything to do so.

4. The Jacob and anti-Jacob story in "Lost" makes sense as an allegory about keeping a big secret. It makes no sense, however, by itself or in the context of anything on "Lost", if taken literally.

5. Nothing else on "Lost" made its plot make sense by the end of season 6.

6. From 3, 4, and 5, it can be concluded that "Lost" never made its underlying plot explicit.

7. The makers of "Lost" would not want to be known as having made a nonsensic story.

8. From 6 & 7, it can be understood that the denouement of "Lost" is yet to come.

9. Damon talked for years about there being a season 7 of "Lost", the season of zombies. Zombies are the re-animated dead.

10. It would be difficult at this time to produce a conclusion of "Lost" using the original cast in new scenes.

11. "The Lost Special" and especially one of its adaptations was essentially a story told by a figure who had been behind the scenes years earlier.

12. From 9, 10, and 11, it can be shown how "Lost" will conclude: after the span of some time, from the point of view of, or focusing on, a character we haven't seen yet, re-animating the other characters like zombies by using a montage of clips previously aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostisGenius View Post
Ok, the press conference episode, after the losties were rescued comes to mind.
It comes to mind as an example of what?

Last edited by Dr. Suds; 03-24-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
LostisGenius
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Suds View Post
This is why I'm convinced "Lost" is coming back to finish itself off:

1. "Lost" would not have made such specific references, starting in its premier and continuing thru season 6 with the anti-Jacob going into the tunnel and coming out as black smoke, to "The Lost Special", its historic antecedent and its previous adaptations, if they didn't mean something to the plot.

2. The plot of "The Lost Special" is nothing unless it revolves around a person or persons with a Big Secret that's worth an enormous amount for a person or persons with immense resources to hush up.

3. From 1 & 2, "Lost" must have been about an effort to keep a secret, and to sacrifice anyone or anything to do so.

4. The Jacob and anti-Jacob story in "Lost" makes sense as an allegory about keeping a big secret. It makes no sense, however, by itself or in the context of anything on "Lost", if taken literally.

5. Nothing else on "Lost" made its plot make sense by the end of season 6.

6. From 3, 4, and 5, it can be concluded that "Lost" never made its underlying plot explicit.

7. The makers of "Lost" would not want to be known as having made a nonsensic story.

8. From 6 & 7, it can be understood that the denouement of "Lost" is yet to come.

9. Damon talked for years about there being a season 7 of "Lost", the season of zombies. Zombies are the re-animated dead.

10. It would be difficult at this time to produce a conclusion of "Lost" using the original cast in new scenes.

11. "The Lost Special" and especially one of its adaptations was essentially a story told by a figure who had been behind the scenes years earlier.

12. From 9, 10, and 11, it can be shown how "Lost" will conclude: after the span of some time, from the point of view of, or focusing on, a character we haven't seen yet, re-animating the other characters like zombies by using a montage of clips previously aired.

It comes to mind as an example of what?
Collective thinking. How did that work out for them?

After re-watching LOST I believe even more. Let a sleeping LOST lay. It was/is perfect.

I CAN RESIST JUST ABOUT ANYTHING ...
EXCEPT TEMPTATION
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Dr. Suds
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostisGenius View Post
Collective thinking. How did that work out for them?
Whose collective thinking? The writers? The characters?
Quote:
After re-watching LOST I believe even more.
Believe what?
Quote:
Let a sleeping LOST lay. It was/is perfect.
A perfect mess if no epilog is supplied.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Malachy
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I don't think you've created a theory so much as simply pointed out some of your criticisms of the show. It's two years later and I still think about the show, but I think whether we like how the show ended or not, it did end and it ended the way the writers intended it to.

I think in following the show and really appreciating it for what it is, you just have to accept that most mysteries were not resolved (at least satisfactorily) and that the mysteries surrounding the island were always going to remain, well, mysterious.

I think the writers were careful to offer alternate scientific and spiritual possible explanations for much of the island phenomenon (often both for the same mystery) and left it to the viewer to interpret on their own with no clear cut answer. And by taking that approach, by intentionally leaving so much of the island an unexplainable, often contradictory mystery, there was no way they could answer those big questions without detracting from the air of subjective interpretation they tried so meticulously to create.

Rather, I think at the end the writers were far more concerned with the emotional pay-off for long-time viewers and whether we could look back and appreciate the personal journeys that the central characters (against all that unknowable mystery) had gone through over the course of the entire series.

In that sense, I think the series ended perfectly. Brilliantly, really. Form an emotional stand-point, I can't think of a better way to end the series with such satisfying closure than what they actually did.

Now of course, I would have liked the series writers to have paid more attention to resolving the show's myriad mysteries than they actually did. Obviously many mysteries remain, some trivial, many quite significant. And the mysteries were the primary reason I was such an avid follower of the show all six years.

But even I can appreciate that there's nothing more you can or should tell about the story, at least in terms of events that happen after the series conclusion, because it would detract from that perfect emotional ending. I love the way the characters were sent off and that's the way it should remain.

Having said that, I would love for Damon Lindelof to go back and tell some of the more prominent stories of the island's history (such as the period of time that the Egyptians settled on the island and what became of their civilization), whether through a novel or comic book, but only because those stories would both shed light on many of the show's mysteries without interfering with the show itself, particularly its characters and the ending.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
Sam G
Fact Checker Deux-librarian-# giver
Upper Deck

Love is the answer

Additional Info
Staff
Stats

Well said, Malachy.

LOST
for Z - well, we actually don't have a space station
Hidden by simplicity, among the chaos, we will find our clues in plain sight. - Me
The pieces of your heart that you give away make you who you are - Me vivre
›‹›....><>..><>...... ><((((˚>
LOST Library-Open 24/7
Fringe Library open 24/7
My Countdown Counting down to: LOSTiversary 2014 - See you in Hawaii - We are going back.
25 days 8 hours 9 minutes
Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Thunderstorm
Redemption Jack
Premium Economy
The Physician Tries To Heal Himself

Additional Info
Stats

This is the first time I've checked this forum in a long time.
And wouldn't you know...Sudsy is suddenly back.
Makes me nostalgic.

The only thing that has pacified my hunger for more LOST is the fanfic LOST:The Other Generation. It is excellent, I highly recommend it.

Disney/ABC will surely continue it someday, and I'm afraid of what they'll do to it.
If it's anything like the series I just mentioned, people will love it. Unfortunately, I doubt it. I think we would get something only tangentially tied to LOST and doomed to fail.

In any event, just passing by...see you folks later.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
UnderAlienControl
"Well 20 minutes is a long time" in
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

No epilogue needed. There is nothing left to wrap up Sudsy, it's wrapped. It needed a 7th season but didn't get it. As it is, most of the "mysteries" are pretty explainable to my satisfaction, I must reiterate here that if you want to really understand some of the mysteries and the shows central overarching theme, you have to at least have perused Hawking's A Brief History of Time. Man, I'm glad I had read that book way before LOST came along (thank you Book Of The Month Club). It helped immensely with understanding the BIG picture. After all, you saw the book pop up more than once with contrasting presentation. You have Ben, the leader of the Others reading the book and then you have Aldo on guard duty also reading it. I think Widmore even had a copy. From leader to follower, they are all trying to get a better handle on what they are dealing with physics wise with the universe and more importantly, how the past and the future play into that. So just as Ben was reading the book, everybody watching the show shoulda been reading it too (or at least the chapter on how time works). When you look at the macro of the show through Hawking's prism it is actually kinda brilliant. And as for influences on the show, well, they kinda threw in everything but the kitchen sink, no?
(<>..<>)

RANDALL FLAGG: Liars sit in chairs, you know. Truth tellers just sort of hunker down.

Alice:
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”

Ash (shows shotgun):
"All right you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this? This is my BOOM STICK! It's a 12-gauge double barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock,cobalt blue steel,and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. Ya got that! Now I swear. The next one of you primates even touches me..."

Open Your Eyes People COE#110 [COLOR=#99ff99]Cosmic banditos or how i learned to love the bomb[/COLOR]

Last edited by UnderAlienControl; 04-28-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Because I'm under alien control...