The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 4 > Cabin Fever
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Cabin Fever Air Date: 5/8/2008 60 minutes EP: 411
Written by Kyle Pennington & Elizabeth Sarnoff
Directed by Paul Edwards

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #41
Pythagoras99
handcuffed, but at least I'm in
Business Class
Don't call me Twitchy.

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Comic Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmasutra View Post
I too am actively searching for a snap shot of Alpert's Book of Laws. I've been unlucky as yet. Although I believe it to be a case of copyright why the book wasn't properly titled it still bears more weight that it actually references Crowley's tome.
Aside from the book having the wrong title, I don't think there's any way they're going to have a book of 20th century Western pseudo-Egyptian pop-mysticism be considered important to an ancient culture with their own ancient mysticism.

As I posted on another thread, the title also makes it impossible to be the Torah, to which Eko referred.

By far the most famous "Book of Laws" is the central sacred text for the Baha'i faith, also called the "Most Holy Book", and "the Aqdas". I think that has to be what the book was. It's not as ancient as other significant religions, but at least it's older than Crowley.

You can read it here: Book of Laws (the Aqdas)
Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #42
middlenamewayne
fnord (ignore this)
Economy
Don't read this... it's PERSONAL!

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarryjayo View Post
This has been bugging me for years now because it's now up on the main show almost everytime in the background. with the lunch box's and action figures. it's some type of inside joke I think.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's gotta be one of two and a half things:

1) A one-of-a-kind prop, likely intended as an inside joke like you say. The back cover is blank and no publisher is gonna waste that kind of high-profile advertising space! The title appears to be something like "The (adjective) Adventures of... JOHN LOCKE!", with an additional "Thwhack!" type of sound effect added to accentuate the effect of the figure on the left (clearly Locke) being slugged by the grim entity in the center (Ben? Sawyer?) An ersatz logo, again unreadable, appears at the top left corner.

2a) Given its location amidst a sea of LOST merch, it could well be an instruction manual for a game/puzzle/whatever which has been disguised as a comic book. This is not an uncommon practice, and such pamphlets are even known to have blank back covers, since they don't normally include paid advertisements, except possibly for the company that makes the game.

2b) Same as above, but rather than being a booklet that was originally included as part of a boxed item, it could be a promo handout from a ComiCon or other organized LOST fan assembly. Instead of game instructions, this would probably include a schedule of appearances by TPTB at the convention or whatever.

Seem logical?

- mnw

PS: HOLY OBJECTIVISM, BATMAN! I'm starting to think that the malicious figure attacking our hairless hero is none other than AYN RAND!!! Check this photo: http://www.atlasshrugged.com/style/i...ht_default.jpg
Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #43
UnderAlienControl
"Well 20 minutes is a long time" in
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

I thought that it was exactly! John Locke on the cover after just taking a quick look at it...glad you found some kind of title for it...good looking out...(<>..<>)
Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #44
middlenamewayne
fnord (ignore this)
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgal71 View Post
I may be way off here, and don't be afraid to tell me....
The date the comic book could have been printed and or bought was from March 1952 to August 1957.
You're way off. Mystery Tales #1 was cover-dated March 1952, and its final issue, #54, was dated August 1957. Up until the 1980s or so, comics were printed with dates roughly 4 to 6 months ahead of the time they actually hit the newsstands. A comic dated April 1956 (as MT #40 was) probably was on the shelves around February of 1956. Non-superhero Atlas books didn't shoot up in value until 1968-74 or thereabouts, so it could have been purchased for under $1 well into the 1960s. (Currently, considering its condition, the copy seen on LOST probably would fetch around $40-70.)

- mnw

PS: Too bad TPTB didn't pick Atlas' "Adventures Into Weird Worlds" from March 1954 instead -- the cover's pretty silly (it could depict what awaits in Ben's secret basement, though!) but the comic includes a story about the end of the world by regular Atlas staff artist Matthew Fox(!)
Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #45
UnderAlienControl
"Well 20 minutes is a long time" in
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlenamewayne View Post
regular Atlas staff artist Matthew Fox(!)
That woulda been cool seeing as how the guy who played the head Sleestak in the original Land of the Lost was named John Locke...(<>..<>)
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #46
Sam G
Fact Checker Deux-librarian-# giver
Upper Deck

Love is the answer

Additional Info
Staff
Stats

Eko mentioned the Book of Law to Locke -

S2E9: Mr. Eko: What the secretary had found was an ancient book... the Book of Law. You may know it as the Old Testament. And it was with that ancient book, not with the gold, that Josiah rebuilt the temple. On the other side of the island we found a place much like this, and in this place we found a book.

LOST
for Z - well, we actually don't have a space station
Hidden by simplicity, among the chaos, we will find our clues in plain sight. - Me
The pieces of your heart that you give away make you who you are - Me vivre
›‹›....><>..><>...... ><((((˚>
LOST Library-Open 24/7
Fringe Library open 24/7
My Countdown Counting down to: LOSTiversary 2014 - See you in Hawaii - We are going back.
150 days 12 hours 51 minutes
Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #47
middlenamewayne
fnord (ignore this)
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderAlienControl View Post
That woulda been cool seeing as how the guy who played the head Sleestak in the original Land of the Lost was named John Locke...(<>..<>)
Even weirder, the "proper" name for the Sleestaks is "anthuriums"!

Just kidding! They're officially called "Altrusians", while anthuriums are of course the plants that Ben told Locke to look for in order to locate the elevator switch.

Possibly worthy of mention: my online skimming tells me that although anthuriums are hermaphroditic, they are commonly called by the nickname "Boy Flower".

That's not ringing any bells for me now, but I have a feeling it will do so along the line somewhere!

Aaron doesn't seem to apply to any floral arrangement. The meanings of the name inc. Mountaineer, Exalted, Strong, Shining Light and To Sing. The origin of the name is Hebrew; Alternate spellings include: Aharon, Arron. Aaron is the brother of Moses. Aaron is 'the Moor', lover of Tamora, in Shakespeare's 'Titus Andronicus'.

Walt's not clicking either; name is Germanic or American & means Woods, Army General, or Ruler Of The Army.

Finally, here's a few other LOST names that caught my eye on the page:

HORUS Hawk

HORACE Hour in Time

HUGO Bright in Mind and Spirit
HURLEY(Irish) sea tide

- mnw

Last edited by middlenamewayne; 05-16-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #48
Selene1212
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlenamewayne View Post
Possibly worthy of mention: my online skimming tells me that although anthuriums are hermaphroditic, they are commonly called by the nickname "Boy Flower".
They are known by that name because they resemble a penis. http://facultystaff.vwc.edu/~pressla.../Anthurium.JPG
Old 05-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #49
myfavoriteleaf
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

The _Book of Laws_ thread:
http://forum.thefuselage.com/...56#post1896056

from Baum's _Sky Island_.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #50
Dr. Suds
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

4 years later and I just figured out what this clue was about. The story in the comic book has little or nothing to do with the plot of Lost. What's important is the cover.

"Mystery Tales" alludes to "Tales of Mystery", which includes "The Lost Special" (which I now believe to be the ultimate basis of Lost) and "The Man with the Watches" (whose action also takes place on a train), as part of Tales of Mystery and Horror, which is one of 2 collections of and by Arthur Conan Doyle that included "The Lost Special". (The other was Round the Fire Stories, and the original was published in the Strand in 1898.)

The depiction on the cover of The Hidden Land shows someone looking with horror out the window of a train, alluding to how M. Caratal looked when he realized his special train had been diverted. There's a slight cx between the scene of one city under another and the idea of going into a mine, i.e. underground, but that probably didn't enter into the choice by the makers of Lost.