The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 5 > The Variable
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

The Variable Air Date: 04/29/2009 60 minutes EP: 514
Written by Adam Horowitz, Edward Kitsis
Directed by Paul A. Edwards

Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Karri
Captain

Additional Info
Staff
Stats
Gaming
Wii Friend Code:
1768 6518 7616 0200

Wii Game Code:
Brawl: 3265 5271 2154 Pokemon BR: 0430 6882 3752

DS Game Code:
Pokemon Diamond: 3308 1796 4550

Click Here
Didn't Love it.

Didn't like the ep? Tell us why.

This thread is for those that did NOT like the episode. If you liked the ep please visit the "Loved it!!!" thread. If you want to debate the episode (likes and dislikes), then please take your comments to the "Rate The Episode" thread or The "Discuss The Episode" thread. Any off topic posts will be deleted and possibly warned or given infraction points.

Thanks!!!

If you have questions or comments, please post them to the Questions for Admins and Mods board before PMing me. You might get a faster response and help keep my inbox from overflowing. Thanks!!!

Check out our sister site Flicks N Shows!!!
You can chat about your favorite movies, comics, books, video games, music, TV Shows and more!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
jasonarthur
Loaded
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Didn't Love it.

I've never posted in one of these "Didn't love it" threads (even after Exposé), but tonight's episode was a bit of a let-down for me. Damon and Carlton really talked it up and it just felt a bit flat.

We got answers to questions, but none that really mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things (near as I can tell).

I dunno. I just didn't like it much. Watched it twice anyhow, just to make sure.

-- J
Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
GL-12
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Though one of the better episodes, I felt Damon & Carlton definitely hyped it too much. I also found Daniel's "explanation" of the variable is a bit weasel-ish, especially after the pretty consistent paradigm established in "Whatever Happened, Happened", I guess they didn't want a totally deterministic universe in Lost.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Adam118
Grandmaster of Adams
Premium Economy
I'm tha biggest boss you seen thus far

Additional Info
Stats

Faraday deserved a better death. Lots of things didn't really make sense. No emotional connection to Ms Hawkins at all, good or bad. Didn't feel anything for her. Why didn't she and Alpert remember him from when he told them what to do about Jughead?

Faraday deserved better.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
kittridge
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

With this episode lost has honestly jumped the shark for me. Farrady completely contradicting whatever happened happened, his ridiculous gon toting entry into the others' camp (duh, did you really think they wouldn't shoot a gun toting dharma dude) and Sawyer completely not bringing up that Juliet went against him when she revealed how to get past the fence. Honestly, I know this is TV and there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that has to be granted but at this point I think the writeres are just screwing with us. What happened to the well written show that I liked and the only series in years that I have bothered to watch week to week?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
MarcB
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

In a word: crap.

Now, the longer version…

The standard formula held true yet again for this episode: spend almost the entire episode backing and filling, add a healthy dose of terrible soap opera dialogue and finish it off with the WTF moment. But, when it’s all over: crap.

We saw a bunch of stuff that we already had the answers to because of the stupid FFs and FBs, like showing us what happened after Daniel saw the fake #815 on the TV and was crying. What happened here that was worth going back to this time in the show? We already knew Widmore got Daniel to come to the Island. Daniel can get his marbles back if he goes back to the Island. Way to stall as usual, gang. Quick question: so how is it that Daniel already had his marbles back when he parachuted onto the Island? I seem to recall Lapidus saying to Jack that “most of the things he (Daniel) says go over my head and the rest go way over my head.” How could this be if Daniel couldn’t remember anything from one day to the next? Oh, that’s right, the special notebook. Uh huh.

Much too often, the dialogue appears to be written by aspiring writers who currently spend their days attending various high schools in the L.A. area. Perhaps these high school writers are watching reruns of Dynasty and Dallas- now Widmore is Daniel’s daddy, too? Or how about Jack asking Daniel what the big mystery is, but Daniel just says nothing, goes outside with Miles and about five minutes later Jack finally asks him, “What did you mean…?” One would expect to see phony scenes like that on a soap, not a supposedly high quality drama.

Now, let’s get to the real heart of the episode. So after all this “Whatever happened, happened” nonsense, Daniel of all people suddenly believes he can change the past. “I was ignoring the variables (all of the #815 survivors, himself, etc.).” Wouldn’t their presence in all of the TT along with basic human freewill be the main reasons those silly non-scientific people like Sawyer and the gang would think they could change the past/future? So, he basically laughs at their lack of elementary knowledge on TT earlier in the season, but now believes he can change the past/future by doing something to prevent #815 from crashing on the Island. So how is that different from what the non-scientists like Sawyer suggested doing back when Daniel originally told them they couldn’t change the past? I know, if Daniel agreed back then, the writers couldn’t drag the season/series out for all of these episodes.

The biggest plus of the episode: Daniel appears to be killed off. Good riddance.

Pure garbage. I would be embarrassed to be a writer on this show at this point.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
MyLost
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I too have never written in a "Didn't Love It" It felt very disjointed and choppy. Random bits. Like the Des Penny thing. It felt like they just threw it in. I hope it was not so that Widmore and Ellie would meet because the writers could have done something different to do that. My only hope is that future episode will complete this one and go back to Whatever Happened Happened. Proving Daniel was wrong. Also, I hope he is not dead.

Last edited by MyLost; 04-30-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 AM   #8
Chrysander
Heavy Metal Ninja
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I found the episode enormously boring, and just terribly constructed and written.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Mr Hawking
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

i don't get why Dan went into the other's camp all guns blazing

everything we know about his personality,behaviour,character and previous interaction with Richard and Eloise tells us he WOULD NOT DO THAT.First and foremost he would resolve the situation through dialogue,by giving them some information to prove his intentions.

ok,the writer's wanted his mum to shoot him,but they could have came up with a far more plausible scenario,To have such a well-received character die like that is unforgivable

oh,and Radzinski's cry of "Sound the alarm!!!!"

yeah,cos nobody heard the (unconvincing) gunfight and exploding fuel barrels
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
JeffinBoca
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

I hate every scene with Desmond in it, especially when he's blathering on his nauseatingly maudlin "undying love" for what's-her-name. But this episode was stacked with cringeworthy or idiotic behavior.

1. Daniel bursting into the Hostile camp with a gun and demanding to see Eloise (compare with Locke's rational entry in 1954).

2. Daniel acting like a child molester.

3. Daniel's caretaker, big mystery. Who is she? Answer: no one important.

4. Richard cringing like a scared rabbit.

5. Daniel grazed by a bullet, no problem. Desmond grazed by a bullet, and everyone thinks he's in critical life-or-death mode.

6. "You three, go get into a shootout with Dharma security and alert everyone. The rest of you, go pack, take your time, and then we'll meet back here, the first place Dharma security will head for, with a guy tied up in the closet."

7. Do guys tied up in closets really make that much noise after at least 12 hours? Maybe he's saying "I really have to go to the bathroom!"