The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 5 > The Variable
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

The Variable Air Date: 04/29/2009 60 minutes EP: 514
Written by Adam Horowitz, Edward Kitsis
Directed by Paul A. Edwards

Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
merry1
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Didn't Love it.

I was really disappointed with this ep: and it didn't really have to do much with the "hyping" or "100th ep", etc.

First, I love the TT-heavy stories, and I love how creative and fascinating and clever Lost can be with its storytelling (no surprise that my fav eps have included FBYE, The Constant, and even Catch-22, hmm, is there a pattern here )

I felt like The Variable, whether it was a "follow-up" to TC or not, could have been much more than it was. It even started out so promisingly, with those clever lines at the beginning between young Dan and his mom: "You don't have time..." "I'll MAKE time". When I heard that I thought, ohh, this is going to be good, Des is going to get involved, and we'll have some crazy time travel goodness, and we'll learn about the journal, and whether Dan gave it to his mom to give to him after learning about the island from the past and giving it to her in the future, etc. etc. There were just so many exciting possibilities. Instead, what we got was an extremely run-of-the-mill, straight-forward story with FBs that mainly just said the same thing (Hawking pushing her son to be a great scientist, etc. etc.)

And what about Des's involvement? It was pretty much non-existent. In fact, I am now very scared that he has essentially just been written out of the show (and if that's the case, for other circumstances not to be discussed here, I will be really mad ) What about his special relationship with both Hawking and Faraday? What about "If anything goes wrong DH will be my constant"!!?? I really hope we get those answers... But mainly, Des was just peripheral, had nothing to do with what went on, there was no mention from Hawking about him going back to the island, or how "the island isn't done with him", or how/why he's special. I would have been more satisfied if, say, the moment Dan died, Des felt it in the present, and, as his constant, realized he needed to go back to finish Dan's work. That would have been much more satisfying.

Finally, there was no math, no physics, even the variable explanation was really lame and brief. As a quantum physics fan, I wanted at least a little more than that. Plus, why does Faraday suddenly want to change (or think he can change) whatever happened? Why does he now think that the incident can be prevented, or that it would even be a good move to prevent it in the first place?! Is it really justifiable to detonate a bomb just to prevent 815 from crashing? What if everything turns out much worse based on NOT having the incident happen? Ugh -- I just have a lot of problems with that thinking.

Oh, well. I just feel that the writers took the easy, simple course, when they could have made this ep way more interesting and creative.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
IceKat55
Laughin' like hell to the end in
Held Up At Security
Skate: How "TOGETHER" is supposed to look!

Additional Info
Stats

Wow. What a spectacular waste to a fantastic character. RIP Daniel. Sorry you got tossed out on such a boring note.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Khayman
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

To be honest, I'm not even disappointed. The way this season is going was always predictable. If you refer to the long 'do the writers know what they're doing' thread over the season break (not the exact name of it) then it was always going to be a struggle to bring this season back to form.

The failures of the show are inherent now. There'll be some nice shock and awe moments along the way, but this show is a shadow of the real 'Lost', the Lost of the first two seasons, and has been for a long time now.

Still, loved the Desmond character upto now; 'The Variable' just obliterated the 'rational' character they've spent so long building up, and transformed him into some foolish, naieve, love sick buffoon.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
merry1
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayman View Post

Still, loved the Desmond character upto now; 'The Variable' just obliterated the 'rational' character they've spent so long building up, and transformed him into some foolish, naieve, love sick buffoon.
A previous podcast even said that Des would have a "significant" part in this ep. Uhh, did I blink and miss something, because he did NOTHING in this ep other than tell Penny he loved her. I love his character too, but feel he was completely wasted here, and have a bad feeling that Darlton are throwing him by the wayside for any future plot developments
Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
stefanie_bean
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I am getting exceptionally sick of the time travel element. And even *breathing* the suggestion that "It will all be a dream & they'll wake up in LA in 2004" ... maddening.

Never "bonded" with Faraday much as a character, so it didn't break my heart when Eloise shot him. Anyway, we've seen characters get shot before, and get better (e.g. Locke in the Dharma mass grave.) But in general, it's really hard to care about the story with eps like this one.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
pibbsneaker
Eating pizza in
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Wow, that wasn't very good. The TT and Faraday's lame monologues keep hitting new levels of absurdity. I didn't think anyone would be as annoying as Charlotte, but Faraday is something else.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
IceKat55
Laughin' like hell to the end in
Held Up At Security
Skate: How "TOGETHER" is supposed to look!

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayman View Post
To be honest, I'm not even disappointed. The way this season is going was always predictable. If you refer to the long 'do the writers know what they're doing' thread over the season break (not the exact name of it) then it was always going to be a struggle to bring this season back to form.

The failures of the show are inherent now. There'll be some nice shock and awe moments along the way, but this show is a shadow of the real 'Lost', the Lost of the first two seasons, and has been for a long time now.
Agreed. It really is a shame that the writers/creators didn't have a solid plan going past S1 of this show. They shot themselves in the foot with the "fly by the seat of their pants" story writing. Too many awesome characters have been wasted (Juliet, Sayid, Desmond, Daniel), too many other less-than-awesome characters have been given too much import (Jack), and the rest of it is just...very...meh.

Hopefully S6 will pick it back up a little bit, since they now have an end date set. But my enthusiasm for the show is gonna be hard for them to win back.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
KRANG
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

The ONLY good thing about this episode was that Faraday was finally killed off. FINALLY ! I've been waiting for this moment since he first parachuted onto the island. Never liked his character. Never liked any of the new characters that they introduced in season 4. (except for Frank) I really hope thats it for him.

For a one hundredth episode this was a big let down.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
ginger
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I seem to recall TPTB warned us that this season would more or less be filler and they weren't kidding. More illogical meh in a season full of boring blah. I wish I felt like I knew these people enough to care about them the way I used to, but they all feel like strangers to me now. I really liked Dan once-upon-a-time, but I felt next-to-nothing when he died.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #20
Melzawelza
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Did Jack actually yell 'i'll cover you!' and shoot two fuel barrels to get away?