The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Characters > Season 1 Characters > Kate > It's All Good
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

It's All Good A place to talk about how much you like the character and other positive things. If you don't like the character please don't post it in here.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:25 AM   #1
Devera
Love and hope in
First Class
Avi by arti_chan13

Additional Info
Stats
Kate and the mythology

I'm posting this in the "It's All Good" thread so we can stay on topic and not get Kate bashing. (Please no shipper wars, either. This is about Kate separate from who she should end up with in the end. )

I truly believe that Kate is an essential ingredient to the mythology of the show. I was wondering if anyone agrees with me--and if you do, what "clues" do you think we have that Kate has more story?

I have a few, but I'll sit back and see if anyone else has anything to share first.

Last edited by Devera; 03-06-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: fixing typing issue
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
adam8023
Zombie Hunter (Z.E.R.O.)
First Class
Team Kate

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Kate and the mythology

^^^Thanks!

I believe Kate is a key player in the mythology. She has survived this far into the series but I've yet to know where she fits but it has to be somewhere.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
squid
Premium Economy
Love is patient, love is kind

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devera View Post
I'm posting this in the "It's All Good" thread so we can stay on topic and not get Kate bashing. (Please no shipper wars, either. This is about Kate separate from who she should end up with in the end. )

I truly believe that Kate is an essential ingredient to the mythology of the show. I was wondering if anyone agrees with me--and if you do, what "clues" do you think we have that Kate has more story?

I have a few, but I'll sit back and see if anyone else has anything to share first.
Devera, it is a tall order to discuss Kate outside her romantic moorings because it has been such a huge aspect of her portrayal, but I'll give it the old college try!

I like Kate's character but I don't really claim to understand her very much. Some have concluded that she is simply poorly written, but I don't agree. I suspect, like you, that the problem results from an essential part of her motivation and importance for the show having been deliberately obscurred thus far. She is, imo, a character it is very very difficult to make assumptions about because of this dearth of substantive information. As far as clues go, I can't think of another character that has more dangling and tantalizing threads of his or her storyline... we've yet to find out the exact relationship with the marshall and why he was so embittered towards her, we don't really understand the extend of her relationship with Cassidy, we don't have a very clear picture of her family life and her relationship with her mom, her dad or her step dad.

One that really makes me think is we don't know why in the world she'd have had an airplane in a time capsule shared with Tom (that opens a whole can of worms in light of the O5 being in the 1970s... what else might be in store for Kate...)

In the end, I suspect she will either turn out to be the island's Eve or very closely associated with her and important to both the past and future of the island, but how that will play out is still a mystery to me...

squid
Old 03-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
maxaholic
Blowing bubbles in
Upper Deck
AT LAST!

Additional Info
Stats

i am hoping that she is much more important to the series than her love life. i feel it!

thanks for starting this thread devera. it's a good one!

You could put Jack and Kate on a New York City street and have them pass each other at rush hour on a Wednesday morning. And they would stop and turn, slowing to watch each other go by. They know each other within the context of a universal recognition. They have met before this life. And, they will meet again, in another.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Devera
Love and hope in
First Class
Avi by arti_chan13

Additional Info
Stats

Thanks everyone for posting. I thought this thread might completely drop out of existence before it even got started.

I definitely think the motivation we have been given for the plane doesn't fit with the urgency Kate went through in order to get it, which seems to indicate it is more important than implied.

Does anyone feel that Kate, like some other characters we have seen, has also been previously connected with the island...and perhaps for some reason is being forced from talking about it (or fully remembering it)? Her license plates and a million names in flashbacks are oddly reminiscent of Ben's ability to be multiple people. I wonder if she was a Dharma Initiative escapee...

Last edited by Devera; 03-08-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: fixing the million typos
Old 03-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
adam8023
Zombie Hunter (Z.E.R.O.)
First Class
Team Kate

Additional Info
Stats

Her step dad Sam was in the U.S. Army.

I'm thinking he is involved.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Jack Sawyer
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Thanks everyone for posting. I thought this thread my completely drop out of existence before it even got started.

I definitely think the motivation we have been given for the plane doesn't fit with the urgency Kate went through in order to get it, which seems to indicate it is more important than implied.

Does anyone feel that Kate, like some other characters we have seen, has also been previously connected with the island...and perhaps for some reason is forcing her from talking about it (or fully remembering it)? Her license plates and a million names in flashbacks are oddly reminiscent of Ben's ability to be multiple people. I wonder if she was a Dharma Initiative escapee...
Wow, that's a great idea...I really like that. It would explain alot.

To the OP, I agree, there's no way Kate's apparent character arc is bad writing; they're definitely being deliberately vague and obscure with her character...she's the female lead after all. I think I'd like to see something like what Devera proposed. It would explain that 'always running' persona of hers, and in more ways than one.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Devera
Love and hope in
First Class
Avi by arti_chan13

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam8023 View Post
Her step dad Sam was in the U.S. Army.

I'm thinking he is involved.
The military connection is certainly connected with our island--very good point.

Thanks, Jack Sawyer--as I said, the whole picture isn't really there, but there are all these details that seem to indicate something else might be going on.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
adam8023
Zombie Hunter (Z.E.R.O.)
First Class
Team Kate

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
the whole picture isn't really there, but there are all these details that seem to indicate something else might be going on.
I hope you're right. I love Kate and would put my life on the line for her.

So I'm hoping her story has a great pay off for us Kate fans.

Also, why would they just have Sam show up for only two episodes and meet at a U.S. Army recruitment office? That same season, we saw a U.S. Army knife that Ana Lucia took from Goodwin.

It certainly is not coincidence.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
LadybirdKate
Counting-slowly-to-five here in
Upper Deck
☆ You're in good hands...With Austen.☆

Additional Info
Stats

Are you kidding me? Where do you want me to start Devera? LMAO. I have an ongoing list!

Spoiler:

Starting with her Mother being ANNIE.