The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 2 > One of Them
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

One of Them Air Date: 02/15/2006 60 minutes EP: 214
Written by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse
Directed by Stephen Williams

Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Noeland
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Eh, could have been better.

I must admit I enjoyed seeing Sayid on the ragged edge, and I REALLY enjoyed seeing Jack get in Locke's face, even if it wasn't the rumble I hope is coming soon. And the ending of this episode, with Sayid and Charlie on the beach was pretty cool too.

Then ofcoarse we DO have the seemingly pointless tree frog thing.That went NOWHERE, just like Michael looking for Walt at a waterfall. NOWHERE!!

All I can hope for is that the tree frog secreted a poison that is now soaking into satan.....I mean SAWYERS hand. And that he will die smirking.

And Pace, I agree, they whole thing about the american's "teaching" Sayid how to torture was just stupid.

Lets start eating away at theose egyptian symbol dharma clock screen captures, shall we? And didya notice the clock in the peisode didn't match the clock in the frikin' previews. WTF????????????????

You'd think after the ubbub of the quarantine doors they'd know better, but just like jack and locke, they have FORGOTTEN!!

Njc------------------
Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
Obsessed
Held Up At Security

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
Well, for the first time in a while, you won't see me dissing the episode in this thread. I loved it.

Yes, the countdown was a tease, but it gave up a little info, even if it wasn't entirely clear what it was. And the introduction of Henry Gale at least opens up the door to what could be a wealth of information. No, we didn't get any info tonight, but like I've said in past "Eh, could have been better" threads, it's not necessarily answers that I look for, just progress. And the introduction of Henry Gale is most certainly progress.

I'm not sure what to make of the Sawyer/Hurley side-plot, outside of the writers just re-enforcing that he is cruel even when he doesn't need to be which is directly juxtaposed to Hurley, who is kind even when he doesn't need to be. And maybe that's all it was.
I am also glad that I finally get to be one of the devil's advocates posting on the "Hated It" thread!

I think Henry Gale is clearly an "Other". He totally stole his history from the Wizard of Oz. They've probably got the DVD on the island and he just pulled that story out of his as* when Sayid was grilling him.

The Sawyer thing was quite ironic. When he went with Kate after the boar that was REALLY making him miserable, he didn't shoot it. This time he killed a fairly harmless frog. Because Kate wasn't there to influence him? Or is he just sinking a little lower each week? Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................

GREAT EPISODE!! You're nuts if you hated it!!!

Last edited by Obsessed; 02-15-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
pacejunkie
Perpetual Optimist
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdork View Post
I couldn't disagree more with this conditioned jingoistic sentiment.
Watch it. You disagree, fine. But no need to get personal.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 PM   #14
ramhatter
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post

I'm not sure what to make of the Sawyer/Hurley side-plot, outside of the writers just re-enforcing that he is cruel even when he doesn't need to be which is directly juxtaposed to Hurley, who is kind even when he doesn't need to be. And maybe that's all it was.
Concur with what has been said. I think after the previous episode we already know that Sawyer is "bad to the bone". Why take the time to show it off again? The interaction between Hurley and him was good, but like many other viewers I wanted to know more about Henry. I wanted to know more about the "others". Heck, I'll take knowing more about Rousseau. The scenes with Hurley and Sawyer just didn't flow with the episode, unless it was suppose to be some sort of comic relief.

I didn't buy into Sayid's love for Shannon and had kind of soured on his character. However, I enjoyed his character tonight. Especally his words at the end to Charlie. How quickly some have forgotten about who they are dealing with.

I do look forward to seeing the screen captures of when the counter hit 0.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #15
Cardielost
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I don't enjoy seeing Sawyer portrayed not just as a manipulator out for himself but a leering sadist and I don't enjoy seeing Sayid robbed of his angsty conflict and deciding that he now has radar that tells him he can spot an enemy by torturing him and feeling no remorse. That's like the way they used to test for witches. They'd bind them and throw them in the river. If they floated and survived, they were witches and were executed. If they sank, they were innocent but dead.

They're fast turning complex characters into one-note, gone over to the dark side caricatures, and I don't like it. It has nothing to do with the lack of answers. The characterizations were depressing and left a bad taste in my mouth (sorta like that ranch dressing at tropical jungle temperature, I would imagine.)

Cardie
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #16
elfdream
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

If those scenes were supposed to be comic relief..they fell flat. At least to me.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #17
colin72
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Another padded episode. And they needed to add 3 minutes to the show's running time for what exactly? Give me a break.

Sayid disobeys Danielle and cuts the guy down BEFORE asking questions? Why wasn't he suspicious enough to be careful... oh, that's right, so the guy could run and the writer's could have Danielle Robin Hood him in the shoulder.

So what did we learn from this episode?... as little as possible as always.

Sayid used to torture people and still has hang ups about it- yeah, we knew that.

Sawyer will track down a tree frog- the equivilent of looking for a needle in a haystack- because he can't sleep and then needlessly kill it- yeah, I get it, Sawyer is bad. He's a con man. Been there done that.

Hurley is stealing food. Big revelation there. Now I've be able to sleep tonight.

The clock gives you a few extra seconds to input the numbers. Great. And I thought something good was actually going to happen. And notice that no one talked about what happened with the clock hitting zero? No discussion of the strange symbols? I guess we'll sweep that under the rug like everything else.

They are dragging things out way too much. I hope the ratings start to drop soon so TPTB get a wake up call. If I had a Nielsen box, I would switch to Veronica Mars.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #18
pacejunkie
Perpetual Optimist
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Last time there was a torture scene (Solitary), the subplot was the cool golf course. The time before that when Sawyer was tortured, the subplot was imaginary peanut butter. They used to be good at juxtaposing heavy, angsty scenes with light funny ones. I didn't find senseless killing of a tree frog funny at all. It certainly wasn't "light".
Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 PM   #19
elfdream
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

The more I think about it..the less and less I like this episode but the thing is I can't get 'passionate' in my dislike! There were good parts in it but not enough for me to get excited and put it on my personal best episode lists.

I think I'm going to have to watch it again before I make a final judgement but the thing is..I really don't want to.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #20
Simplist
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

hard for me to give explanation on WHY.

the show just isn't doing it for me lately... pretty committed fan of the show from day 1, but tonite i wondered aloud to my wife, 'why am i watching this'

maybe its just the disjointed feel the show has with all of the hiatuses... the commercialization of the show as a property is a real turn off... im not opposed to making money, thats the business of the networks, but the negative for the networks as they try and maximize revenue is they are seriously minimizing the quality of the series...

just venting...