The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 2 > One of Them
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

One of Them Air Date: 02/15/2006 60 minutes EP: 214
Written by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse
Directed by Stephen Williams

Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #21
Siobhan
Coach

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Eh, could have been better.

I agree with what everyone has said about the Sawyer-Tree Frog knock down. What was that about? Rather pointless. I did like this edgy Sayid and thought the end scene with Charlie was pretty intriguing. More than dis-satisfaction with the episodes I am really getting fed up with the constant breaks.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #22
ramhatter
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I wonder what season it will be before someone pulls back the curtain to reveal who the wizard of Oz is on this island...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:28 PM   #23
ImpatientUR
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

I didn't like this episode very much but it might be the way I watched it. I have a DVR and normally I will start watching it 15-20 minutes late so I can fast forward all the commercials. Today I watched it along with being online with the Live Thread. The show seemed really short like it was all commercials.

I wonder if the Hurley/Sawyer scene was simply to put an end to everyone bugging TPTB about why Hurley hasn't lost weight. The obvious answer is Hurley is a fictional character and the person playing him is not on a strange island with little food. But everyone kept asking so maybe they felt they were doing us/the actor (tired- can't remember his name and know I'll spell it wrong) a favor by writing it into the script.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #24
McGuane
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

A very Meh-minus ep for me.

Once again, I thought the flashback redundant of what we already knew. And I'm finding these walk-thru flashback "connections" forced and obligatory. They seem just inserted for the purpose of making us go "Oh, there's Kate's Dad-Not!" No real connection, just an appearance. OK, we got it, they crossed paths in pre-Isle of Mystery Life. Check.

But the real problem I am having is how disjointed and stand-alone each ep feels this season, with no connection to the one preceding it. So The New Sheriff stuff? Completly forgotten. We did learn that the guns are not, as many of us speculated and hoped, back in the vault in the hatch. So we are left with our (my) worse case scenerio for the guns - Sawyer did indeed secret them away somewhere in the jungle, and no one cares. They are out there rusting and rotting, that is if the others have not snatched them. And Sawyer is free to roam as he pleases, including to go get a gun or two at his leisure. No one is watching him, following him? Maybe Hurley? Puh-leeze. Arsenal gone and Locke is snoozing in the hatch? And Jack and Locke can only muster their now familiar back and forth spat? Are these two an old married couple?

Sayid has all this pent up grief over Shannon, but no problem interacting with her killer. An "accident" I know, but he should still have a problem even being in her presence. And did anyone else burst into laughter when he instructed AnaL to "go back to the beach and tell no one!" As if anyone ever tells anyone else ANYTHING!!! It's the first rule of the Isle of Mystery: thou shalt not share info.

Then finally, Sayid interacts with Charlie as if he did not just see him set the fire that threatened to burn the camp down a night or two ago.

I came to accept long ago that this show does not engage in "linear" storytelling. Things happen and get dropped for a very long period. But it still feels jarring to me when the characters interact as if the last thing that happened between them never happened. This bothers me way more than the glacial pace or the lack of "answers".

Each to his own opinon, and I often have the opposite feeling about an ep as most posters have, but I am very surprised that some posters who hated Fire + Water and villified it as filler thought tonight's ep was great.

Previews were awesome though, now THIS is shaping up to be a real Sweeps-worthy ep.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #25
pacejunkie
Perpetual Optimist
Upper Deck

Additional Info
Stats

You've summed my feelings up perfectly McGuane. I'm actually surprised they thought this episode was sweepsworthy. I expected it would reveal much more for being in sweeps.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:03 AM   #26
Vertical
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

To me, this episode reminds me of "All the best cowboys..." from season 1. Back then, did any of us really have any idea what Locke and Boone had just unearthed? No, but it has completed changed the face of the show this season, and became the focal point for the second half of season 1.

Tonight, we 'unearth' Henry Gale. And I think it will be an equally daunting task cracking Henry Gale as it was cracking into the Hatch. But ultimately, it will reward us with new insight into the island, as well as giving us more questions. Who knows what secrets Henry Gale holds?

I do find it interesting that the thing most people have chosen to harp on is the relatively unimportant side-plot of Hurley/Sawyer. If that's the worst thing about this episode, then I don't think it could have been all that bad.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #27
LostLaura
LL Cool Whisperer
Upper Deck
Olivier

Additional Info
Stats

Yeah, McGuane, said a lot of what I had to say.
Elfdream, I think I feel similiarly to you. Some of what we saw was okay and interesting... but most of it was sort of "eh...". I can't quite put my finger on it. I didn't hate the episode, so I'm glad this thread isn't called "Worst Episode Ever!" like people used to post, but I certinaly dindn't love it.

The timer did not upset me like it did some people. I thought the symbols and red color were very cool. I don't think we'll suddnely know what happened because those symbols showed up... but maybe we'll find out this season. And that doesn't bother me. Slow reveals on the greater Mythology don't bother me.

It's like McGuane said. Why does it have to be so disjointed? Hello, New Sheriff in Town? Why aren't people concerned about the guns? Why is A-L so totally out of character? Why can Sayid even talk to her? Why is Sayid talking to Charlie? Isn't Charlie a leper, basically, now?

The Hurley and Sawyer scenes really really annoyed me. Very unnecessary killing of the tree frog. What was the point of that? Unnecessary nickname dropping too. I know Sawyer gives nicknames. And I get that when he wants to be sincere, he uses their real name, but isn't that getting a little old?... And Hurley hording food annoyed me too. The peanut butter and ranch dressing showing up were okay references back to previous episodes, but where did he get a frickin' yellow pepper?
And that scene annoys me because when Charlie is originally trying to get peanut butter (way before the hatch), Hurley gets upset about the notion of the fat guy hoarding the food. And now he *is* hoarding the food? Lame...
The only redeeming thing about that scene was that Sawyer called him Hurley, as his was of being sincere. But Hurley's a nickname. And if Sawyer knew that, he'd realize that this guy is rich (because he read Hugo's message in bottle). I appreciated that bit of irony or insider knowledge.... or whatever you'd call it.

The Jack and Locke thing was a bit tired but on the whole I liked it. I really liked the Sayid and Henry scenes. I really thought Sayid acted magnificently when he was crying about Shannon. And I'm glad that Sayid was finally acting on his rage and depression over her death.
Annoying that the one person who heard about the obvious Wizard of Oz references may have never seen that movie, since he's Iraqi... great...

The FBs were okay. Not great. A bit tired. I also was a bit annoyed about the Americans bringing torture to Iraqis thing, pace. Played a bit weird to me.
The Sgt. Austen thing was a good cross, mostly because Diane crossed in the prev. episode. I liked that Kate was in the episode... yet not in the episode.

Can you tell I'm conflicted about this one?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 AM   #28
colin72
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post

Tonight, we 'unearth' Henry Gale. And I think it will be an equally daunting task cracking Henry Gale as it was cracking into the Hatch. But ultimately, it will reward us with new insight into the island, as well as giving us more questions. Who knows what secrets Henry Gale holds?

I do find it interesting that the thing most people have chosen to harp on is the relatively unimportant side-plot of Hurley/Sawyer. If that's the worst thing about this episode, then I don't think it could have been all that bad.
The point is, this episode (once again) gave us very little progress and a lot of filler and repeating info.

Did we need the tree frog subplot? No. And please don't anyone say that damn tree frog is going to come back later and "mean something". Sawyer stealing the guns was swept under the rug and Hurley is helping him hunt a down tree frog? Please.

Sayid used to torture people, is haunted by the memories and yet sometimes he has to use those techniques... Been there done that.

So what are we left with? The episode was 63 mintues long. They added 3 minutes for what?... $$$$$......

What little progress we do get in an episode could be done in 30 minutes. Most of the episodes are filler and repeating info. Pathetic.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #29
Vertical
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin72 View Post
The point is, this episode (once again) gave us very little progress and a lot of filler and repeating info.

Did we need the tree frog subplot? No. And please don't anyone say that damn tree frog is going to come back later and "mean something". Sawyer stealing the guns was swept under the rug and Hurley is helping him hunt a down tree frog? Please.
I can agree with that, the tree frog side-plot was (seemingly) irrelevant and pointless, for the most part. I'm not about to defend that portion of the episode. But it also wasn't a major portion of the episode, so it didn't bother me the way it's really aggravating some people.

And although this episode gave us 'very little' progress, it at least did give us some progress, unlike F+W and TLC. In this episode we finally see Danielle again (brief though it was), we have the capture of a potential other, who also holds the potential for a ton of information, and we see that yes, in fact, something does happen when the clock hits zero. We don't know exactly what, yet, but we heard large things moving around in the hatch, and we see some strange symbols (which you can bet your arse will come back into play, unlike the tree frog or Kate's tiny airplane). So clearly we're being told that Jack is wrong, something will happen. And black and red colors seem to be implying it's not a good thing. My guess is they'll have to find Desmond again to figure out what the heck those symbols might mean.

You can't expect them to find Henry Gale and crack him in one episode. That would be the equivalent of finding the hatch and opening it in one episode. There is a benefit to dramatic pacing, making the final reveal all that much more magnificent. I'm hungry for answers to, but at least now enough progress has been made that the Lostaways are in a position to find something out, what with an Other at their mercy. Before tonight, there was no way to get answers. Now they have that. That's progress. I think it's a bit unrealistic to demand Henry Gale be introduced and cracked all in the same episode.

Quote:
Sayid used to torture people, is haunted by the memories and yet sometimes he has to use those techniques... Been there done that.
But Kate's father wasn't there before. And we didn't know that Sayid wasn't just a torturer. Before tonight, I thought that's what he did for the Iraqi army - torture people. Clearly, that's not the case. There was more to it than that. He didn't torture because he wanted to, he did it because he needed to.

Quote:
So what are we left with? The episode was 63 mintues long. They added 3 minutes for what?... $$$$$......

What little progress we do get in an episode could be done in 30 minutes. Most of the episodes are filler and repeating info. Pathetic.
This is true of even the best episodes. Exodus Part II, one of my favorites, had it's share of non-super-important scenes as well, and probably could have been boiled down to 30 minutes.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #30
marym
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I didn't like this episode, and I am pretty forgiving. So the big bad CIA taught the poor little Iraqi how to torture. Bull. Also, of course the fat guy is hording food. You don't get fat without having a cumpulsive eating problem and the compulsion is to horde and/or eat food without even really having to be hungry. If this wasn't a problem he wouldn't be fat. And the whole frog thing was a waste of time. Like that was the only tree frog in a jungle?! I felt the episode felt contrived and forced and not very well thought out. I often don't catch the subtle things until i read the message boards, but even I felt I was being force fed.