The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 2 > One of Them
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

One of Them Air Date: 02/15/2006 60 minutes EP: 214
Written by Damon Lindelof & Carlton Cuse
Directed by Stephen Williams

View Poll Results: Lost Fans Speak! Rate this epi
Best Hour of TV ever broadcsat. 10 1.63%
My favorite episode of Lost EVER 11 1.79%
Definitely one of their best. 224 36.54%
Above average by LOST standards 172 28.06%
Not bad, but nothing special 139 22.68%
Below average by LOST standards. 23 3.75%
Totally sub-par, a real letdown 30 4.89%
The worst epi of Lost EVER 2 0.33%
The show has "jumped the shark," I'm not watching anymore. 2 0.33%
Voters: 613. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Karri
Captain

Additional Info
Staff
Stats
Gaming
Wii Friend Code:
1768 6518 7616 0200

Wii Game Code:
Brawl: 3265 5271 2154 Pokemon BR: 0430 6882 3752

DS Game Code:
Pokemon Diamond: 3308 1796 4550

Click Here
Rate the Episode!!!

What did you think?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
jennylee27
J-Lee aka Jenny from the Block
Upper Deck
Future Darlton

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Lost Fans Speak! Rate This Episode!

Wow, I see this thread is up even before the episode airs. Does this mean we will be able to have a comparison at the end of the season? Cool!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Joshypoo
Running naked through
Premium Economy
I taste like strawberries!

Additional Info
Stats

I liked it - a lot. Anytime my jaw drops during an episode - it's a good one.
The Dharma clock red hieroglyphics were awesome, the tree frog squish was stunning, Locke defying Jack is always a good thing... I liked it a lot!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Jenn
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I thought it was great, had a complete impact on my emotions the whole time.

Except the Sawyer/Hurley scenes seemed *way* out of place. Ok Sawyer's bad and all that...we get it. Sure the frog squish was shocking, but im still wondering why we even needed that scene.

Set up for a future Hurley episode?

And im amused that it seems everyone is going to charlie for the hard jobs...first Sawyer and now apparantly Sayid.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
Vertical
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I thought about this for a while before voting... and I went with "Definitely one of their best", and I don't hand those out too often.

This episode was an intense character-exemplifying episode for all the characters with major screen time:

For Sayid, we see his internal struggle with his desire to not torture contrasting with his desire for information. His need for information winning out in the end, motivated by his pent-up rage at the situation which led to Shannon's death. I found Sayid's final scene with Charlie particularly important - his previous torture of Sawyer led to his self-imposed solitary because he was ashamed of his actions.. but not this time. There will be no solitary, only more determination. He did not break Henry Gale, but he will. He knows that there is a 'greater good' here.

For Jack, we see his desire to be the healer, which foreshadows a potential problem he may have as the leader of an 'army'. As tough as Jack talks, would he truly be able to take up arms and injure the 'others'? Despite all of his huff and puff, perhaps he doesn't have the 'guts' to actually do what is necessary.

For Locke, we see once again that he is in tune with his faith that there are no coincidences. He doesn't need the confession to know that this guy is an other - he just knows. He shows that it is he, not Jack, who is capable of doing what needs to be done even if that means doing the wrong thing for the right reasons.

For Sawyer, we see that he still needs help in everything he does. He always needs a partner. He can't find the tree frog on his own, so he enlists Hurley (against his will, initially)... And in the end, he betrays his partner - Hurley offers to take the frog far away, in an effort to spare the frog's life, only to have Sawyer literally crush that effort. Sawyer, presented with an opportunity to do the right thing, chooses not to. This doesn't bode well for Charlie's partnership with Sawyer... how will Sawyer betray Charlie? I think we know the answer to that one, though.

For Hurley, we see someone who will help out even someone who he doesn't like, and who will always try to do the kind thing... only to have it turn out bad for the very person he's trying to help - in this case, a frog.

The tension between Locke and Jack was palpable, coming to head when Jack forces Locke to choose between his faith (the button) and his desire for information. A brilliant play by Jack, and completely believable, as opposed to the contrived motivation for Sawyer last week.

Sawyer's outpouring of emotion over burying Shannon was very convincing, and truly showed the audience that Henry Gale was (most likely) lying. His face said it all, and Sayid knew it. And I, for one, am happy to draw Henry Gale's confession out. If he had given up the goods in one episode, the 'will' of the Others would be marginalized, and they wouldn't be seen as very formidable foes.

This was an episode worthy of the many awards this show has gotten. This is what it is all about.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
dietcoke
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Liked the flashbacks but that was about it. Why crush the frog? Hated, hated, hated the torture scenes. Why yet another new character? Need to read everyone's take on the timer. Missed the female characters.

Have to vote Below average by Lost standards. Went into this ep with too high expectations.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
wedestroymyths
liminal
Premium Economy
the beyond

Additional Info
Stats

okay. after looking at people's responses to insiderscoop's post (that's my compromise, don't read the post itself, but the responses) i was all set to be let down, big time.

in a way, i was. i feel cheated by the timer. and i feel cheated that we didn't get more infro from "Henry Gale" which I'd bet money isn't his real name and the WoOz references are to clue us in that he's lying.

That being said--I'm so glad they truly dealt with Sayid's grief from Shannon, and I was riveted by Naveen throughout the episode. I felt my boy Sayid had been neglected and the show made up for it. So despite some 'mythology arc' letdowns, I was thrilled with everything else (though Sawyer seemed out of character all episode until he squashed the frog).

And, of course, things seem to come in threes, so perhaps next time the timer really will run down, and we still have "Henry" in captivity. AND THE PREVIEW FOR THE NEXT EPPY LOOKS AWESOME.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
LostFANatic91
Business Class
Avi by me :)

Additional Info
Stats

I thought it was a good episode. not the best but I really enjoyed it. I find myself likeing Sayid more and more
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
lockefanmike
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Smile Re: Lost Fans Speak! Rate This Episode!

lost came roaring back tonite with a vengeance. no shark jumping this week. but it looks like we have to for a new epi. thanks lost!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
Driveshaft fan
Baggage

Additional Info
Stats

disappointed . Previews always look awesome and then the episode it's just c**p
next preview episode is awesome ??? I learned from the past , don't expect too much.