The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 2 > Everybody Hates Hugo
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Everybody Hates Hugo Air Date: 10/12/2005 60 minutes EP: 204
Written by Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz
Directed by Alan Taylor

Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #11
Liplocked
Waxing Ben's Baby Maker in
Business Class
'Roger', really.

Additional Info
Location: Portsmouth. England. ~ Where the population's dense & the architecture's brutal. Nice!
Stats
Re: LOST Rewind: "Everybody Hates Hugo"

love Love LOVE! Dave ~ who I hope is real and digitally removed from the photo the doc showed Hurley.

<-- still sans Series 2 *spoot*
Old 10-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
hakwam
Thank you. Namaste. And Good Luck
Coach
I'm the last living member of the DHARMA Intiative

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here
Lost:Season Rewatch:week 7-Man of Science, man of Faith-Everybody hates Hugo

This is the first week in season 2. This week, the hatch was opened, revealing Desmond, Micheal, Sawyer and Jin got captured by the tail section survivors, after they survived a shark, The button was pushed, and Dharma film was seen, and Hurley became cool again. This week ends with Rose putting apollo bar in her pocket.

There are 47 survivors left
also with them:Aaron and Vincent
Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 AM   #13
Liplocked
Waxing Ben's Baby Maker in
Business Class
'Roger', really.

Additional Info
Location: Portsmouth. England. ~ Where the population's dense & the architecture's brutal. Nice!
Stats

Gotta say as I begin, how much I appreciated Locke’s proficient handling of the gun with the scary scope after Boone’s suggestion he was a hit man and with his talk to Hurley of the jobs he’d had to do…. sneaky suggestion

Interesting to me is John’s lauding of Change to Hurley when he is so often employed as an instrument of it. Wanna move things along a little? Have John blow something up. Easy.

I see Hurley’s issues with change as presented in his flashback – he had a life changing event happen to him with his lottery win, and it cost him dear; the loss of bestest mate in the world Johnny ( I know twins where one quit their burger bar job 5 minutes after her sister walked out) into the arms of his almost girlfriend Starla (so we don’t know that yet but meh). Love how Hurley lights up when he lightens up - but I like his dark meanacing vibe too (see below).

Bit of a favourite of mine this: love the magnificent Carmen, a harpie no jury would convict a put-upon son for murdering, a dead-pan expression on chicken-suited guy that Buster Keaton would be proud to be seen in, the playfulness of hearing Jin speak English – when we all knew he could – only to have it turned upon us, a fine piece of strop from a disbelieving Charlie…

Nice work from Dom too – lots of changes in mood from him here between his scenes with John, Hurley and Claire.

…and the fleeting fear that passed over Randy’s face in the seconds before Hurley quit. I can watch that over and over. A superb “oh frick” moment from a man who knew he’d pushed too far. He’s bloody lucky Hurley only tossed his hairnet at him and didn’t go home to fetch a gun.

Huh? Moments include: how’d the Tailies dig that tiger pit? all the tools they had were boomerangs and a piece of abalone shell. And Ana ‘I’m not a victim’ Lucia’s turn about face and suddenly expressed respect/admiration for Sawyer… after he threatened to kill her. Strange lady.

Eko the mediator was a pleasant surprise after his truly terrifying bestial appearance in his début, but then Libby was blood-to-ice-water chilling with her simple explanation to our confounded expectations: we thought they were 23; seeing their numbers so depleted, living like rats… horrible. But Bernard’s alive! and we care that he is (but it’s easy ‘cause he’s so nice).

Jack was a swine to his misses – though not directly; he was too sodding dismissive of Rose for that – but was surprisingly agreeable and accommodating of Hurley’s later decision to distribute all the food. Perhaps seeing Kate in the near nude improved his mood.

Thematically, secrets and the dissemination of knowledge are what strike me most; Locke and Hurley choosing to share, Jack’s agitation at that having occurred, our learning what Rose has asserted all along – Bernard IS alive, and the burden born by poor Sun, literally burying the truth of what happened to the raft, while Hurley by contrast, discharges his duty and has the weight of it lifted from his shoulders.

She has no way of knowing the raft’s actual fate, but she conspires to silence with Shannon and Claire for the greater good, understanding that bottle holds more than letters; it’s the preservation of Hope.

~ bit rambling – I’m a tad rusty – and I STILL don’t have a place to be excited over Charlie’s ‘Bjorn’ : it’s not Dutch for baby sling - I’d be surprised if it were Dutch for anything – it’s Scandinavian…. for bear. ~
Old 11-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
Sam G
Fact Checker Deux-librarian-# giver
Upper Deck

Love is the answer

Additional Info
Staff
Stats

Wandering Gnomes

LOST
for Z - well, we actually don't have a space station
Hidden by simplicity, among the chaos, we will find our clues in plain sight. - Me
The pieces of your heart that you give away make you who you are - Me vivre
›‹›....><>..><>...... ><((((˚>
LOST Library-Open 24/7
Fringe Library open 24/7
My Countdown Counting down to: LOSTiversary 2014 - See you in Hawaii - We are going back.
58 days 17 hours 20 minutes
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
1DocLover
First Class
"I'm going with you after I suck your face off."

Additional Info
Stats

I absolutely loved the montage at the end! The music was great and it was nice to see everyone actually chilling for a moment! It was not one of my favorite eppys. but I didn't hate it. I did like the ending the best.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #16
workingmom
Still looking for a hairbrush in
Business Class
avi by mysticxf

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRabbit View Post
*Hurley seems to disdain what Sawyer craves in Season 1 and later in Season 2: being hated for controlling THE STUFF. If anything, Hurley is the direct opposite of Sawyer's motto "Every man for himself." Is it ironic then that he seems to always get "the goods" so to speak: the lottery, the hatch food, even Libby. Or is the Island trying to tell him something by giving him everything?
Yes he does seem to bring the bountiful out wherever he goes. And remember he easily gets Danielle to give him the much-needed battery in Numbers. (But like the lottery numbers, the battery ultimately brought bad luck to the rafties by powering the radar that let them signal to Zeke's boat. Unintended bad consequences, again.)

Quote:
*Note though that while he says he intends to give everything away, he has his Season 2 "You've Opened the Box!" moment in "Dave" when he reveals he lied and kept a stash to feed his appetite.
You know, I probably would have done the same. Just like Kate stashed a few Apollo bars into her denims during a life and death escape attempt.

Quote:
*The Taillies are much more clearly defined in this episode: the fearsome looking Eko ends up acting as a peacemaker and Ana runs the group like a fascist. Bernard is revealed, paying off Rose's surprise co-starring role in the episode, further setting up their incredible reunion in episode 2x08, "Collision".
Eko was quite the scary figure in the previous episode, and gradually he becomes gentler. I do believe Ana's fascist leadership kept the Tailies alive. They were much worse off in terms of supplies - they had no baggage - and the Others were in closer proximity and were preying on them constantly.
Bernard's tentative, holding-his-breath question to Michael and Sawyer about "a woman named Rose" was a big emotional payoff moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLotus View Post
this episode got me thinking about Rose and how she might fit into the time loop issues.
her conviction that her husband is alive for instance could be put into the category of people knowing stuff that may have 'leaked through' from a previous loop. i did at one point wonder if she could be part of ms hawking's group or a similar group of people who are not, presumably, enslaved by time and space.
or it could be that she knew that the island would cure her cancer.
im not a great one for 'in on it' theories but ill be keeping a close eye on her in the future ! ( and the past ) if we also consider her stopping bernard finishing his SOS sign......
probably nothing but i thought i'd throw it out there...
because we have all the time in the world till S4
I think it's far more likely that Rose's absolute conviction that Bernard was alive came from her faith, because she said so. She seems to be what she is.

F.O.X. #169, The Shirts: Dharma Scrubs Jater #204, DesPen #38, JuSt #84, T.O.M. #3, M.L. #2, DRKA #4, TGIF #49, The Shephard Clan #20

I can't complain, but sometimes I still do
Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
lostinlaf
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liplocked View Post

I see Hurley’s issues with change as presented in his flashback – he had a life changing event happen to him with his lottery win, and it cost him dear; the loss of bestest mate in the world Johnny

and the burden born by poor Sun, literally burying the truth of what happened to the raft, She has no way of knowing the raft’s actual fate, but she conspires to silence with Shannon and Claire for the greater good, understanding that bottle holds more than letters; it’s the preservation of Hope.
It's lonely at the top. Jack's already learned this and deals with it in a way that's very different than Hurley. Jack thrives on leadership, even if it costs him what's dearest to him. Hurley, on the other hand, doesn't have the same inclination. His loved ones are too important to him. He cares deeply what others think about him, as we saw in his flashback. He knew that getting the money (and responsibility for the food) would change his relationships, and he didn't want that. Hurley deals with this newfound (or rediscovered) role by giving people what they want. Interestingly, even Jack was quick to give in to Hurley's plan. I wonder if he would have responded in the same way if Locke had told him he thought it would be best to simply distribute the food instead of rationing it. Hurley has a way with people. Even Jack.

As for Sun burying the bottle...it reminded me of what Locke says to Paulo in "Exposé..."Things don't stay buried on this island."
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #18
mmmlost
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

What the heck is the blue squarish thing in the near background just before Locke calls out to Charlie?? It's shown when he bends down to pick up the fruit around 16:10 on the dvd, and again when he stands up around 16:15? Looks like a tarp or something, but I didn't see it in the scene in any distance shots, and it seems way too shoddy to just be a piece of production stuff lying around that accidentally ended up in the shot...
Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #19
myfavoriteleaf
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

Hey, a bit late to say, I know, but,...

I just started playing the PS2 game "G.T.A. San Andreas" and realized that Mr. Cluck's chicken is exactly the same as the game, down to the costume that the guy is wearing when Hurley has his dream in the hatch.

Just thought I'd point that out if no one else already has. :-)
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
nooai
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

The opening scene was hilarious!
A wtf moment was when Jin was speaking in perfect English and Hurley was suddenly speaking in Korean. I guess it’s just Daniel Dae Kim’s excuse to be able to speak English on the show!

I freakin' love the flashback Hurley this episode for finally deciding to just break free from the monotony of his life.
My favourite line of the episode and probably one of my favourite lines of the show…
Have a ‘cluckety-cluck-cluck’ day, Hugo!’

Favourite line:
Hurley’s mom: ‘Yes, it is Jesus! He wants to know what color car do you want’

I love Rose, she is cool
I love Charlie and miss him! He is fed up of being left behind, he is fed up of always not being in the know of what’s going on.. I’m glad he spoke up his mind.

This episode touches on the rivalvry between team A (Jack, Kate, Sayid, Locke) and team B (the rest- Charlie, Claire, Jin and Sun, etc.)

I like the part when the flashbacks (of Hurley’s friend feeling betrayed) were being integrated into present time. Good job by the editors. It’s a pity that Hurley lost his best friend.

One take home message from this episode: Food makes everyone happy!! Go without food, and you’ll be hungry and cranky. Have some food in your bellies, and everything is alright with the world again.